November 15, 2010

MAID IN MANHATTAN -- LIKE A CINDERELLA STORY -- TOUCHES MY HEART!


Last night I was so bored to death with nothing to do but talking to myself in front of a mirror . Half bored, I decided to watch a comedy movie so I came down with my USB loaded with old movies that I’m planning to watch over the week end because I haven’t seen those movies on it’s regular showing way back. So I began scrolling, looking for a good movie to watch but I didn’t find any. So I grabbed my phone and just listened to JLO’s ALL I HAVE and then I thought I had downloaded 2 JLO’s movies – anaconda and the maid in manhattan—I’ve tried to watch the anaconda though thrilling but still haven’t aroused my curiousity.


I’ve tried the maid in manhattan and guess what my eyes glued at the monitor of my laptop. I found the movie so interesting at first scene actually it was like a Cinderella story but in a new generation. Wayne Wang gave credit to the movie for directing a romantic movie like that , he was so good and oh not to mention Edmon Dantes who wrote the story, I guess he’s a romantic at heart . A round of applause for them. 



And they got a good actresses and actors who compliment the characters. Iv'e never seen Jennifer Lopez on a movie like that and I’ve to say that she and Ralph Fiennes was so good and convincing on that romantic movie. JLo's so hot and Ralph Fiennes so alarmingly charming. They were a good team, I may add.




JLo’s character was Marissa Ventura and Ralph Fiennes was Chris Marshall. Marisa Ventura is a is a single mother who is raising her gifted but under-confident son Ty on her own, a struggling single mom who dreams of a better life for her and her young son. Marisa works as a housekeeper at the exclusive Beresford Hotel in Manhattan, where her boss Paula Burns  and chief butler Lionel Bloch  urge Marisa and her best friend and fellow maid Stephanie  to be as efficient and inconspicuous as possible. 






One day, while cleaning the room of noted socialite Caroline Lane , Stephanie spies a beautiful designer gown and dares Marisa to try it on; against her better judgment, she does, and while all dolled up.One fateful day, hotel guest and senatorial candidate Christopher Marshall meets Marisa and mistakes her for a wealthy socialite, she bumps into him , a wealthy and well-bred bachelor. 




Immediately charmed, Chris asks Marisa to join him for a walk in Central Park, assuming she's the blue-blooded Caroline. Marisa manages to join Chris for the afternoon, with Ty in tow, and Chris finds himself quite taken with Marisa's beauty and down-to-earth personality, as well as Ty's precocious interest in politics. Chris later calls Caroline's room to set up a lunch date, but soon discovers the stuffy Ms. Lane is not the woman he met before. Marisa is also attracted to Chris, but while her friends encourage her to pursue a romance, Veronica believes her daughter is asking for trouble by trying to win a man so far out of her social strata. 




After an enchanting evening together, the two fall madly in love. But when Marisa's true identity is revealed, issues of class and social status threaten to separate them. Can two people from very different worlds overcome their differences and live happily ever after? Can a wealthy Republican politician find happiness with a chambermaid from the Bronx? One man is about to find out, though he hardly realizes it at first, in this romantic comedy.


The story touches my heart and made me realize that rich guy are not only meant for rich girls too, I mean the less fortunate girls could dream  any guy they want whether the guy’s rich as Bill Gates, less fortunate people have feelings too.  The best part for me in the movie was when marissa was kicked out on the hotel for stealing a branded dress and chris marshall found out too on the same day  that she was only a maid on that hotel were he was staying, so she had no one to turn to even her mother confronted her:


Mother:  what were you thinking going out someone like that?
Marissa: someone like what?
Mother:  Chris Marshall. You had to pretend to be somebody else and then so he would go out with you?Where is your pride, marissa?
Marissa: People like you make people like him some kind of God. Why? Because he’s rich , he’s white, has things that we don’t have. That we don’t wanna even dream about? It really burned you that I think I have the right to go out with him!
Mother: You don’t! 




Wow, that was a big blow  and not to mention an  added insult to injury on a person who’s feeling was so down. Instead of comforting her daughter, she added salt and lemon on her daughter’s wound. What was she thinking saying those harshed words to her daughter , she’s a monster mom! And Lucky for me, my mother is not like that and I wouldn’t even dream of having a mother like that.  It’s not marissa’s fault that she fell in love with a guy who had a different life style. And oh, they got a good actresses and actors who compliment the characters.



I really really like the line “People like you make people like him some kind of God. Why? Because he’s rich , he’s white, has things that we don’t have. That we don’t wanna even dream about? “  If the “Matapobre(s) “  did watched this movie then thanks God, that was a wake up call for them thinking, they only belong to a high society and just fall in love with a rich guy or rich girl. Jeez!  What are they thinking?!  We are all human being, we are all son(s) and daughter(s)  of God, we eat the same food, do the same things,  so what are they thinking, a gift to less fortunate people? Whoever said that RICH GUYS ARE ONLY FOR RICH GIRLS----then it is really a big CRAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment